Health and Fitness Success - Weight Loss in Style Without Sacrifice
You know weight loss shouldn't be about sacrificing everything that we love to eat and the good news is that it is not. When you are trying to weight reduction is famous your really attempting to just become healthy. The problem is that most people focus only on the dieting part of getting healthy or sometimes just exercising to get healthier. The truth is that you shouldn't focus on just one aspect of becoming healthier, you need to look at all areas of your life if you are going to succeed.
Dieting is an important aspect to becoming healthy, the whole point of dieting is not necessarily to lose the weight but to focus on what we eat and how much of the food we are consuming. This doesn't mean you cant eat chocolate or doughnuts or any of your favourite foods. What it means, is that you should reserve those foods as treats for the odd occasion and not as a regular part of your diet.
When you start your How to Lose Weight Fast journey, don't think of it as a chore but rather as an opportunity to explore. Think about how big this world really is and how many different kinds of foods are out there. This is the best time to move away from fried chips and pizza's and to start exploring the different kinds of foods other cultures eat.
Try taking a boring bit of chicken and adding different spices to it and mix them up, through in some new and different vegetables and see how the food can be transformed into something new and amazing. Try mixing up everything you eat with new fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. Instead of going home thinking I have to eat plain old boring white meat, think tonight I think we might try Indian food and tomorrow we are definitely going Mexican.
Once you get into a new habit of looking at different foods and flavours, I can guarantee you wont miss most of the old foods that you used to eat. Plus now there is nothing stopping you from having some of the old faithfuls once in a while and adding them in to a much larger diverse of meal choices. The best news is this though, now that you have started to try new healthy and interesting foods in moderation, you have been naturally How to lose weight fast, feeling much better. You can also impress friends by hold dinner parties cooking some of these new wild and great tasting meals they might not ever have thought of themselves.
Natural Cure For Obesity
Obesity, the normal ailment in the modern world is spreading its feet fast and wide like an epidemic. The condition is characterized by the increase in the adipose tissue which makes us look bulky. Most of us do not really care about it in the very beginning and the things go worse slowly and slowly making it difficult for us to live a healthy life. If we do not look into it seriously in the early stage, it increases the risk of developing some unhealthy conditions like hypertension, stroke, diseases of gall bladder, diabetes and many others. To have a through insight about it just go thorough the following lines-
Causes of obesity
* Overeating/high fat/high calorie diet
* Lack of physical activity/exercise
* Genetic factors
* Bad eating habits
* Slow metabolism
* Repeated weight loss attempts and dieting
* Insufficient sleep or under sleeping
* Psychological or emotional factors
* Excessive stress
* Drug de-addiction
* Certain types of medications
* Recovery after prolonged illness
* Hormonal imbalance
The cure of Obesity
* Eat only when you are really hungry
* Get rid of overeating start a well planned diet
* Undertake fasting for once a week regularly
* Avoid high calorie and high carbohydrate foods and beverages
* Exercise regularly by walking, running, playing indoor out door sports, doing household work etc. It helps to burn the extra calories not required by the body for normal functioning and helps toning body muscles and makes you stronger.
* Avoid taking sweet dishes, salty or oily food especially at night.
* The most effective home remedy is to take 10-15 grams of honey with warm water on an empty stomach in the morning.
* Use of honey with lime juice water helps to cure obesity without loss of energy and appetite. The mixture should be taken with warm water at pre scheduled intervals.
* Add ginger and lemon slices to a glass of boiling water, steer for sometime and stain the water. Drink it when hot.
* Use cabbage either raw or boiled. Cabbage is easily digestible and gives a lasting feeling of fullness.
* Use horse gram to contain obesity. Soak 30-50 grams of horse gram overnight, filter it the next morning and have it on an empty stomach.
* Use lemon juice as much as you can, go on increasing the dose till you have reached 12-15 lemons a day. After that reduce the dose by one lemon per day and reach to a target of 3-5 lemons per day and stay there regularly. Lemon helps to dissolve fat very effectively.
* Use 10-15 fully grown curry leaves every morning for 3-4 months. It's highly effective in containing obesity.
* Include green leafy vegetables and fruits in your special care of the diet as much as you can.
* Take carrot or bottle guard juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
* Use dry fruits in your diet.
* Eat 1-2 tomatoes in the morning for 3-4 months. It's highly effective in curing obesity.
* A mixture of green mint with some spices can be taken with meals to get rid of obesity.
* Finger millet is an ideal food for obese people because its digestion is slow and due to this the carbohydrates take a longer time to be absorbed.
* Take the leaves of jujuby and Indian palm, soak them in water overnight and drink that water on an empty stomach in the morning. It certainly cures obesity.
* Use tea of dandelion root and use it 3-4 times in a day to fight obesity.
* Rather than taking full lunch and dinner eat in small amounts 4-5 times a day.
* Drink as much water as possible before meals and at bed time and avoid alcoholic drinks.
Why the Gestational Diabetes Diet is Such a Powerful Strategy For Pregnant Women With Diabetes
For reasons unknown to scientists and doctors, a small percentage of females who are pregnant develop gestational diabetes. But this "small percentage" is no laughing matter when you realize that billions of women get pregnant each year around the world. The gestational diabetes diet, developed to ensure that these pregnant women with diabetes stay healthy, is an effective way to minimize the negative effects of this dangerous disease.
Why The Gestational Diabetes Diet Works:
Pregnant women with diabetes are most concerned about maintaining safe and stable insulin levels. The gestational diabetes diet contributes to this in two ways.
1. This diet stresses the practice of having 4-5 small meals a day, with plenty of healthy snacks in between. Spreading meals throughout the day stabilize blood glucose levels in the bloodstream. The typical eating patterns of three large meals a day can make your insulin levels go on a rollercoaster.
2. This diet also recommend a low carbohydrate diet. Not a strict one like many of the current fad diets. The goal is carb reduction, not carb elimination. In fact, carbohydrates are a needed requirement for the healthy development of the unborn child. The point is to choose which carbs you eat more wisely. Simple carbohydrate foods like white flour and white rice, tend to drastically change insulin levels. Complex carbs like lettuce and broccoli, deliver the needed nutrients without adversely affecting blood sugar amounts in the body.
The best way to control the negative consequences facing pregnant women with diabetes is to have them follow the gestational diabetes diet. By reducing carbohydrate consumption (especially the simple carbs) and eating smaller meals throughout the day, you can stabilize your insulin levels, and minimize any long term effects from this dangerous disease.
Type 2 Diabetes - Genes That Reveal Which Women Will Develop Gestational Diabetes
Certain genes make women worldwide susceptible to Type 2 and Gestational, or pregnancy-related, diabetes. Those genes can vary from one population to another. Scientists at the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation in Chennai, India, have found two genes that make Southern Indians susceptible to the condition.
This particular study was reported on in the journal Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics in February 2015 and included...
- 518 women with Gestational diabetes and
- 910 women who each had a healthy pregnancy.
Twelve variations of genes previously associated with the condition in other populations were measured. Two of them were associated with Gestational diabetes in Southern Indians. From the information gained it was concluded two variations of a gene called CDKAL1 were associated with diabetes that developed during pregnancy.
Although the above was the first study to look at the genetics of Gestational diabetes in Southern India, studies on other populations have been completed. In February of 2014 the journal Endocrinology and Gynecology reported on research from Trakya University in Turkey...
- 44 women who were diagnosed with diabetes during their pregnancy, were compared genetically with
- 50 women with a normal pregnancy.
It was found women with a gene called IRS-2 DD had almost three times the risk of Gestational diabetes as those with a gene known as GG. A gene with the name IRS-2 D gave women an 86 percent higher risk of developing Gestational diabetes than a gene called IRS-2 G.
In April 2015 the European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology will report the results of a study performed at the Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital of Fudan University, in Shanghai, China. Researchers looked at genes known to be associated with Gestational diabetes, as well as other genes that could interact with them. Genes cause the cell to make certain proteins, so the scientists look at how the proteins made by various genes might react in the body. Based upon those interactions, six genes, called CYP1A1, LEPR, ESR1, GYS2, AGRP, and CACNA1G, were suspected of contributing to the development of diabetes during pregnancy.
Undoubtedly the time will come when pregnant women or women planning their pregnancy, can be routinely tested for genes that predispose them to Gestational diabetes. Until that time, a family history of Type 2 diabetes can give some idea whether women are genetically susceptible to developing diabetes during their pregnancy.
Every woman contemplating pregnancy should normalize her weight first, and continue to keep it normal throughout the pregnancy. Following a prescribed diet and exercise program will help prevent or control Gestational diabetes.
Although managing your disease can be very challenging, Type 2 diabetes is not a condition you must just live with. You can make simple changes to your daily routine and lower both your weight and your blood sugar levels. Hang in there, the longer you do it, the easier it gets.
Meal planning for children with type 1 diabetes
Meal planning for children with type 1 diabetes can be a true practice in patience. With the varying degrees of literature and information out there, it can be challenging to understand the Do’s and Don’ts of proper nutrition. Although, naturally, there are some considerations to be aware of, most diets recommended for children with type 1 diabetes are the same healthy diet for children without the condition. Knowing this helps alleviate some of the stresses in making food, so when it’s time to prep that lunch or dinnertime meal you know it’s just a matter of following a few, basic rules. Here’s how it’s done!
Back to the basics
Instead of trying to build a “diabetic diet” handbook (which, at best, is an exhausting pursuit) focus on ensuring your child is getting a balanced diet, which means eating across each of the major food groups: vegetables and fruit, grain products, meat and alternatives, dairy and alternatives, as well as added oils and fats. Healthy eating is integral to a child’s development and growth and a child with diabetes is no different. Check out this article on basic menu planning for people with diabetes.
Speaking of carbohydrates
Carbohydrates raise your blood sugar levels faster than any other food, but they are important nutrients for your child because they supply glucose (aka: energy) needed for the body’s cells and brain functions. Your child’s body uses carbs to help him or her grow, walk and hit that jungle gym, while their brain uses it to develop, learn and respond. They are critical to health and well being but consumption also warrants a critical eye, as children with type 1 diabetes must manage their blood sugar levels.
You will need to balance the amount of insulin given to the amount of carbs eaten. There are two ways to do this. You can either use a consistent amount of insulin for a consistent amount of carbs eaten at a meal or snack. The amount of carbs will depend on your child’s age, gender and activity level. While the general recommendations range from 45 to 60 grams at each meal and 15 grams at each snack, each child has different needs so it’s best to consult with your doctor or registered dietitian (RD) to understand specific amounts. An alternative method is to adjust the amount of insulin based on the different amount of carbs eaten. A Registered Dietitian can help you find the best plan that will work for your child.
Check out this expert blog for more information on carb counting.
Most, if not all children need snacks. Kids are hungry often - they’re growing after all! -so to avoid between-meal hunger and perhaps a bit of grumpy behavior, snacks are a must. This is especially true for those with type 1 diabetes because they help ward off low blood glucose throughout the day. For great snack suggestions, click here!
High Sugar Foods to Avoid
It’s fairly obvious to say that any foods high in added sugar are not the healthiest choice for, well, anyone, but when a child has diabetes and eats these foods (think: jams, candy, soft drinks or chocolate) his or her blood sugar level can go up very high, very quickly. Notwithstanding the fact these foods are typically – if not always – low in nutrients, they could take the place of those more nourishing eats that are imperative for your child’s growth. Best to reserve these sweet treats for special occasions.
PCOS and Infertility - Could Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Be the Reason You Can't Get Pregnant?
- If you are a women who is wondering why you are having trouble getting pregnant, then you may want to consider whether PCOS is part of your problem. PCOS, or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, is a common reason for infertility amongst women and brings with it a variety of symptoms, which may appear with the onset of puberty. However, for many women, because their suffering is tolerable, they do not realise that they have this condition until they have trouble conceiving. If you are having problems getting pregnant and you are overweight, diabetic, suffering from excessive acne or body hair, or have abnormal periods then you should read this information now to see whether it may apply to you.
- PCOS is a hormonal condition affecting around 5-10% of women of child-bearing age. It can include a whole range of symptoms, ranging from mild to severe, including having polycystic ovaries. A polycystic ovary is an ovary (the part of the reproductive system that produces a woman's eggs) which does not function properly due to problems with the endocrine system - the network of glands that secrete hormones to regulate the functioning of the body.
- A polycystic ovary is so-called because, on an ultrasound scan, it shows an abnormal quantity of what appear to be cysts just below the surface. These "cysts" often look like a string of pearls along the ovary. They are actually follicles containing eggs which have not been able to develop fully because of the inability of the ovary to function properly. This is due in part to it producing excessive amounts of male hormones, in particular Testosterone. Polycystic ovaries are thought to exist in 20% of women.
- As well as polycystic ovaries, other symptoms are apparent in the case of PCOS which may include any of the following:
- Menstrual disorders - absence of periods (Amenorrhea) or few/irregular periods (Oligomenorrhea) or excessively frequent periods (Hypermenorrhea)
- Infertility caused by inability to ovulate normally (Anovulation)
- Acne and Hirsutism (excessive body hair) caused by the excess of male hormones.
- Metabolic Syndrome related symptoms including Insulin resistance, Obesity, Diabetes and high levels of Cholesterol.
- If you are struggling to get pregnant and have any of the symptoms noted above, then it is possible that you are suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The range and severity of the symptoms varies so much between women, that it is not always possible to know if you are affected. Many women therefore do not get help with their symptoms until they have trouble conceiving. If you suspect that you may have PCOS, you are best to consult your doctor at the earliest opportunity as it can take time for the symptoms to be brought under control.
- Insulin resistance and obesity seem to be a common characteristic in women diagnosed with PCOS and it is thought that this, and genetic predisposition, may be contributory factors in causing the condition. However, it is not always easy to determine the exact causes and a combination of factors may be responsible.
- Whilst PCOS is treatable with a range of drugs to control the various symptoms, it cannot be completely cured and needs to be managed to avoid a drop in self-esteem and causing additional health problems at a later stage in life. Losing weight and adopting a healthy lifestyle generally are the best things you can do for yourself practically in order to alleviate symptoms and improve your chances of conception.
5 Steps To Reverse PCOS Symptoms
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) affects 5-10 percent of pre-menopausal women, making it the most common female endocrine disorder. PCOS wreaks havoc on hormones: excessive amounts of insulin stimulate the ovaries to produce large amounts of testosterone. The result can be irregular periods and infertility, along with symptoms such as male-pattern baldness, fatigue, excess body hair, and obesity. The long term health risks for women with PCOS include diabetes and cardiovascular disease among others.
Stanford University has clearly identified the existence and effects of insulin resistance, a metabolic disorder and the major underlying cause of PCOS. Treating insulin resistance will help you to manage or reverse PCOS symptoms. Most importantly, this can be done naturally, without the use of prescription drugs.
1. Nutraceuticals: Nature's Medicine
Metabolic change cannot be achieved with a single ingredient. But the right combination of disease specific herbs, vitamins and minerals can help restore your body's metabolism. Minerals such as chromium, magnesium, and zinc work to control insulin and glucose levels. Vitamin C and folic acid promote a healthy circulatory system. The herbs fenugreek and milk thistle also help to control insulin and glucose levels. Guar Gum can reduce bad cholesterol and lower blood pressure. Insulite Labs' nutraceuticals are formulated to reverse insulin resistance and PCOS.
2. Nutrition: Swap "Bad" Carbs for "Good" Carbs
All women with PCOS can benefit from adopting healthy eating habits. By eating a diet low in carbohydrates and refined sugars you can help reverse the imbalances of glucose and insulin in your body. Avoid "bad" carbohydrates like sweets, white bread, pasta and rice. Replace these with "good" carbohydrates that stabilize blood sugar like brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread.
3. Exercise: Part of Your Daily Routine
Although everyone should find time to exercise, it is especially important for women with PCOS to fit some form of exercise into their daily routine. Whether it is a 20-minute walk, playing outside with your kids, or going to a Pilates class, exercise has proven to boost metabolism and burn calories which helps to control insulin levels and, in turn, results in weight loss. Exercise can also help to stave off diabetes, a health risk for women in PCOS.
4. Food Addiction: Break the Cycle
Consuming "bad" or simple carbohydrates and sugars can create a vicious cycle of ups and downs. Eating sweets and chips may give you a temporary high by causing a surge in blood sugar and serotonin, but the crash is sure to follow, leaving you craving more. By weaning yourself from simple sugars and carbohydrates and replacing them with complex carbohydrates and lean protein throughout the day you can maintain stable glucose and insulin levels and break the cycle of food addiction.
5. Find a Support Network: You Are Not Alone
You are not alone in your struggle with PCOS. There are millions of women worldwide experiencing the same symptoms and emotions. These are the women who will lift you up when you are feeling down.
Rice - One Nutritious Food For Your Healthy Life
Do you eat rice as your daily consumed food? It is low in calories and fat but high in fiber. On the other hand, the benefits of rice are not limited to dietary benefits alone. As a matter of fact, there are two kinds of rice like white and brown rice. These are a staple food in a lot of countries. Nowadays many western people add rice as their daily food.
The health advantages of high fiber content foods are plentiful, it decreases the prospect of heart diseases and it is really effective to help avoid abrupt spikes in sugar levels. Beside that, it helps absorption and decreases constipation and so on. If you have problem with high blood pressure, it is effective to control it. It also contains manganese, iron, selenium, vitamin B etc.
Rice is really effective to offer instant and fast energy. Beside that you can obtain good bowel movement. Your blood actually can be stabilized by consuming rice. Vitamin B1 is also very important for your body and you can get great source of vitamin V1 from this kind of food.
Otherwise, rice is also effective to treat your skin better and to resist hypertension, high blood pressure and dysentery. Rice is the staple foodstuff in the majority of countries and it is a vital puffed rice crop that supplies more than half of the population in the world.
How about brown rice? It is obviously better for you compared to white rice. Yet, since some significant nutrients are exposed during the process of manufacturing white rice, a lot of companies decide to hold up what they took out. Brown rice is also effective to prevent colon cancer. It is a great food to help maintain your body fit. It acts as energy for the body and assists in regular performance of the brain.
Carbohydrate is really important for our body and the great source of carbohydrate is rice. It provides excellent energy source. It is low salt and low fat. There is no cholesterol and it is actually low sugar.
If you want to make your life healthier, you can consume rice as your daily food. It is digested starch food and rich in fibers. For stomach, rice gives high contribution to it. It is good for intestinal ulcers, diarrhea and stomach. Actually it provides significant nutrient for the teeth, hair, muscles, bones and nails. It gives all essential carbohydrates supplies. It is a body developing food.
It can be used for Skin Care. Some experts say that milled rice can be useful to treat some kinds of skin illness. In Indian, it is appropriately prescribed by ayurvedic practitioners as an efficient balm to calm down swollen skin surfaces.
As a point of fact, rice is useful to help controlling blood sugar and control cholesterol. Several persons cannot tolerate proteins in rye, barley, wheat and oats therefore they need food that is gluten free. Commonly, rice is gluten free therefore, to have gluten free diet. It can be your great solution.
Low Fat Diet Plan - 3 Reasons You Need To Know And 4 Tips of How To Do It
oday more people are aware of low fat diet plan compared with one decade back. It is common sense that some fat in the diet is necessary, but many people simply eat too much. So reducing your consumption is very important for creating a healthier diet and lifestyle.
There are 3 reasons below to cut back your dietary fat consumption.
1. Reducing your dietary fat consumption helps in weight loss and weight management. For your knowledge, fat contains twice as many calories per gram as protein and carbohydrates, so consuming less fat means gaining fewer calories.
2. The risk of heart disease can be decreased significantly with lower intake of fat, especially saturated fat, which is a main contributor in heart disease and elevated cholesterol levels. Hence, low fat diets should be practised everyday.
3. Studies show that some forms of cancer can be reduced with lower fat in your body. Though the studies are still ongoing and not totally completed yet, low fat diets are definitely a better choice to keep you away from cancer.
To cut back on dietary fat intake can be done with the 4 tips below, which you can refer to and work out your low fat diet plan.
1. Replace the peanut butter, spreads and full fat cream cheese with non fat alternatives such as low fat jellies, jams, fruit spreads, cream cheese, non fat margarine and cream cheese.
2. Replace the potato chips with pretzels, unbuttered popcorn and other healthier alternatives.
3. Choose non fat salad dressings at home. Do so in restaurants as well if you have a choice.
4. High fat dairy products should be avoided. Make use of skim milk or 2% milk to replace the whole milk which can reduce the daily fat intake. Besides, other alternatives for ice cream such as frozen yogurt, is a better choice to provide the flavor required with none of the fat.
To summarize, you should be aware of the risks and disadvantages so that you know why it is important to keep up the low fat diet plan. The 4 tips included are for your knowledge about how to reduce your consumption in your daily eating habits.
Low Carb Food List - Discover How to Control Your Diet For a Healthier Lifestyle
Do you have a low fat and low carb food list? It is not uncommon to hear from someone that they are on a diet. But actually, after looking up the definition of diet, you'll understand that everyone is on a diet all of their lives. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are on a healthy diet, but your diet is how and what you consume from day to day.
Eating nutritious food is an important way, along with regular exercise, to maintain a healthy body that is lean and muscular. To keep a strong, healthy body we must build muscle and lower our fat levels by avoiding fatty foods and limiting low carb foods. For us to be able to do this, we need to be aware of which foods are high in fats and carbs. That is where a low fat and low carb food list comes in handy.
Having a low fat and low carb food list to refer to is a great way to start the monitoring of your diet. A low carb food list is a list of foods which have a low number of carbohydrates in them and on top of that, are present in the glycemic index. White refined sugar is at the top of the list with the highest rating of 100.
Ratings in the glycemic index range from 0 to 100, with these ratings showing how fast the sugar from carbohydrates are absorbed into the bloodstream. A rating of zero indicates that the sugar enters the bloodstream slowly which helps diminish the storage of fat and prevent health problems such as diabetes and hypoglycemia.
A rating of 100 on the other hand indicates that the sugar is being immediately absorbed into the bloodstream. As a general rule of thumb, a rating of 50 or lower for food on the glycemic index indicates that this food is better for your health.
These foods are known as "good carbs" because they are mostly complex carbohydrates. These carbohydrates are necessary for the brain to function properly and for the body's energy. It is impossible to live a healthy lifestyle without any carbohydrates.
Therefore, selecting the correct carbs is essential for maintaining a healthy body. A low carb food list with references to the glycemic index will assist you in deciding on which foods to eat. For example, white bread is rated very high on the glycemic index (up there with sugar) and you would be wise to substitute it for whole grain bread.
Eating sweet potatoes rather than white ones, choosing whole grain products rather than processed ones will pay off big time for your health and well-being in years to come. There are specially prepared versions of food products such as pasta, baking powder and even peanut butter that are produced to be healthier.
Low Fat Diets
Low fat diets do not mean that you cut out all the fats from your diet. It means that you
control the type of fats that you eat. Not all fats are harmful and they are essential for the
body to keep your organs working the way they should. Saturated fats add fat to the body
and these are the ones that you should avoid whenever possible. All health associations
tell you than your body needs 20 - 30% of your calorie intake should include fats, but
less than 10% of this should come from saturated fats.
The fats you need to avoid on this type of diet are the one found in red meat and dairy
products. Try trimming all the visible fat from the meat before you cook it and drink low
fat milk, such as 2% milk or skim milk. Vegetable oils are high in polyunsaturated fats
and you should avoid these as much as possible as well. Instead of cooking with
vegetable oil, try olive oil for a healthier way of eating. Most fast foods are prepared with
vegetable oils. Just about every diet program will tell you that in order to lose weight, you
need to cut down on the amount of fast foods that you eat. This includes processed foods,
such as luncheon meats you may use for sandwiches.
Diets that are low in fat are also low-carb diets. This doesn't mean that you cut out the
carbs in your diet all together, nut you should be more aware of which carbs are good for
you and which are not. Try to avoid bread, taco shells, pasta and muffins and cookies.
Oatmeal is a good cereal to eat in the morning and there are many low fat cereals that you
can eat that are low in fat and calories. Try bagels or pita bread instead of regular toast.
When you shop for groceries, choosing foods that are low in fat is not the only thing you
have to do in order to lose weight., You do have to cut down on the amounts of food that
you eat, and incorporate exercise into your daily routine.
What is the Best Diet For Losing Weight and Fat?
We have all heard about those fad diets like the grapefruit diet or the apple diet. I am here to tell you diets that work. All of those diets are fad, crash, "stupid" diets. A real diet contains a mix of muscle building protein, energy filling carbs, and healthy fats for your heart.
For losing weight, ketosis is the best diet and is not a fad. In a keto diet, one would eat lots of protein and fats and little carbohydrates to get there body in a state of ketosis. Since there is no more glycogen in your body, from the lack of carbohydrates, your body will build ketone bodies from your fat tissues to fuel your body and your brain. As long as you are eating enough protein, you will preserve your muscle and lose pounds of fat easy.
Getting into ketosis takes about 3-7 days depending on your current glycogen storage. Ketosis feels odd at first because you will be lethargic and may experience headaches and even nausea. However, these symptons go away. You will also drop lots of weight at first because of water weight.
Typical foods on a keto diet include nuts, whey protein, eggs, bacon, sausage, olive oil, butter, salmon, etc; anything that contains a high amount of protein and fats and no carbs. A vitamin pill is often taken in a keto diet since you can't eat much vegetables. (however you can eat at least one bowl of salad)
It takes strong willpower to stay on keto because if you cheat once or eat something bad your body will be out of ketosis. A process that took 3-7 days now has to be re-done.
In short, Keto is the best short-term diet you can do for cutting.